Cox and email revisited

Author: technomage
Subject: Cox and email revisited
well,
it does sound like an issue on THEIR end. However, it could also be a
sendmail/postfix configuration issue as well.

one thing you really must consider is: Cox is in the business to make money
and offer a product (albeit one with some restrictions) and they don't yet
recognize linux as more than a very small portion of the equation. now if
their userbase used linux on more than 10% of the systems, they would start
paying attention.

the big thing here (and I have been mostly happy with my cox internet service
over the last few years) is that we need to get more users of cox HSI using
linux (even if its just as a firewall/router). the more that use linux and
claim it (have them write in letters to the management as snail mail) the
more attention will be paid. if cox suddenly realizes that 50% of its market
share has gone to linux in the last year or so, your damned right tey'll
offer support for it (such as setting up netscape, offering tech help on
basic networking issues, etc).

I have, on more than one occassion, offered my help to cox inc. to help get
linux into the mainstream (by being a outsource tech support CSR for the
linux community). so far, they haven't responded with anything more than
"thanks, we'll keep it in mind" (in other words, don't call us, we'll call
you)..

so, just for shits and grins, when they say they only support windows, I'll
just plunk an old 486 running windows 95 on the circuit and say thats what I
got. since they say they only support M$ products (and windows 95 IS an M$
product - getting the picture?) I present them with what they want without
getting into an arguement. I have sent a snail mail to their corporate HQ in
atlanta. However, I am the only one I know of that has done so (one lone
voice in the woods). we need to get the likes of ESR and others to buy stock
in the corporation and then vote as a single proxy block (significant power
can be had this way if done properly and will often result in the corporate
suits listening because their very wallets are threatened). We could do the
same with all other cable/HSI operations around the country. it may sound too
simple and/or hokey, but it does work. the only problem is getting folks to
buy stocks in these firms and then put them together as a single voting block
(proxy).

well, what do you think>

Mage (hawke)