OT - CD read problem

Author: Vaughn Treude
Subject: OT - CD read problem
On Saturday 31 January 2004 19:57, you wrote:
> technomage wrote:
> > I got that a lot as well. started with my old cd/cd-r drive (thought it
> > was blown). howeverm replacing with a new emprex DVD/R, CD/r didn't solve
> > the problem. it works ok in windows on the same box, but for some reason,
> > linux (mandrake 9.1) seems to bitch about it.
>
> Yeah, I have that in reverse. If I ask Windows to look at
> my CDRW drive, I get an immediate blue screen.
> But Linux reads and writes it just fine.
>
> A recent programming experience ties in with this.
> I added some error checking to a program, and when
> the program was ported to FreeBSD it failed due
> to a spurious error from the OS. Same with the
> CD drives, probably: you never know what a given
> OS is going to choke on, or what it will tolerate.
>
> Vic

Good point, Vic. But I'm beginning to suspect (I hope I'm wrong) that it's
the IDE port on this motherboard that's the problem, since I also had
problems with the previous CD on that same machine. Now that I think of it,
I've had occasional problems with that system's floppy as well. I've got
another machine running the same version of Mandrake and I've never had
trouble with any of its removable drives.

Vaughn