OT - CD read problem

Author: Victor Odhner
Subject: OT - CD read problem
technomage wrote:
> I got that a lot as well. started with my old cd/cd-r drive (thought it was
> blown). howeverm replacing with a new emprex DVD/R, CD/r didn't solve the
> problem. it works ok in windows on the same box, but for some reason, linux
> (mandrake 9.1) seems to bitch about it.

Yeah, I have that in reverse. If I ask Windows to look at
my CDRW drive, I get an immediate blue screen.
But Linux reads and writes it just fine.

A recent programming experience ties in with this.
I added some error checking to a program, and when
the program was ported to FreeBSD it failed due
to a spurious error from the OS. Same with the
CD drives, probably: you never know what a given
OS is going to choke on, or what it will tolerate.

Vic