Cox and email revisited

Author: Victor Odhner
Subject: Cox and email revisited
Derek Neighbors wrote:
> I will say I have been nothing but happy with my Cox service to date. I
> think that with Linux being less than 2% of the market share it doesn't
> make good business sense at this time for them to support it. We can
> not like that all we want, but they do exist to make money.

I want to ditto that. Yes, they refuse to relay. If you
want a server that will relay for you, that's a different
piece of business.

I've been on Cox cable since the @Home days, and since Cox took
over running the ISP service I've been nothing by satisfied.
They don't staff Linux support, and it helps to have a
Windows persona when talking to them, but they've been
very helpful to me.

I was recently bummed when they set up a support site that was
demanding IE as the browser and being rude even to the latest
Mozilla. They've fixed that, so that now the IE-dependent
functions smoothly take you to a page with useful links and the
rest of the pages function nicely. OK, you can't use their
MS-dependent online chat, since they demand a local client --
benevolent spyware, I suspect.

You've probably heard my story about an intelligent tech spending
an hour helping me solve a connectivity problem, and yes,
he was willing to hear about my Linux results as well as
those from Windows.

Minor Cox gripe: I wish when I boot over to Linux that it
wouldn't take a minute or two to get a lease. I suspect
that is something wrong with my DHCP setup.

Vic