Cox and email revisited

Author: Craig White
Subject: Cox and email revisited
On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 10:37, Augie Grayfox wrote:
> Hi All,
> Recently I tried to email a client of mine ( which I've done untold times
> before ) using cox' default email server and got a rejection notice:
>
> [ This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:
>
> Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.
> The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why
> each recipient was rejected.
>
>     Recipient: <>
>     Reason:     prohibited. We do not relay

> Please reply to
> if you feel this message to be in error. ]
>
> So thinking that I could get this fixed I emailed them and when that went
> unresolved, I called them and lo and behold as soon as they found out I was a
> Linux user...basically end of discussion.
>
> The hokey reason they tried to give me was that since I use Linux, there is no
> way they can begin to troubleshoot my problem. I explained that the problem
> is not a hardware issue on my end, but rather an admin issue on their end
> because I DO have email working, and the only problem is that THEY are
> blocking it from getting to my client.
>
> All they would say was that the problem would be escalated to their admin
> office. Needless to say, I don't believe that I'll be hearing anything from
> them anytime soon.
>
> Hell of a way to run a railroad!

---
it's their field - it's their rules - if it cuts down on spam, it can't
be all bad.

We have had long topical discussions about using Cox & Email - if their
were archives, we could search them...

Alas...You have some choices... You can configure your email client(s)
to simply use cox's smtp server instead of the local sendmail -
smtp.west.cox.net

but my preference is to use my main box to send all outbound mail and it
uses cox's smtp server and thus any computer on my home lan simply sends
to the local mail server.

on my main mail server - one line in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp.west.cox.net')

m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

service sendmail restart - done.

This main mail server - if it accepts email from other systems for
relaying - we can go over this if you want, handles all the outbound
mail for any computer on the lan in my house.

It's all a fairly simple process.

Now as for cox not supporting linux - it's because they don't see the
value in supporting a market segment that they haven't identified as
important to them. If they felt that supporting Linux users was
important, they would do it. I know that they would gladly help you
configure a single mail client such as Kmail or Evolution but they
obviously aren't going to have the knowledge of the program to tell you
which menu choice leads you to the configuration options.

Besides, you have a great support team here...who needs Cox support
anyway?

Craig