Re: SSDs versus spinning-rust drives

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: SSDs versus spinning-rust drives
I've used ssd's as boot drives since the first 32gb units from random
vendors, and most have been terrible lasting 6mo-1yr generally before
death. Past 4-5 years, using Samsungs or Toshiba (oddly), I've had good
luck.

SSD's need some wear-leveling involved in hardware, or they die. My
experience at least, but I have had several die across raid pairs, one
always just flatlines suddenly.

I use encryption, raid, and lvm in fs setup, so it is simply required as
ssd trim is generally not working as a pass through function without
security issues. If you can't do direct trim support, or wear-leveling is
involved at a hardware leveling, mine have died, at least one at a time.
This is at least 3 different vendors, including corsair, adata, and another
I already forgot.

Since moving to Samsung SSD's I've not lost one. I use Pro's in my desktop
and my last laptop in raid, plus several evo's in some test systems that I
use for network test rigs. All have outlasted _any_ other SSD I have
owned. They cost more, but they haven't died like, oh every other one.

My xps15 came with a toshiba 1tb that I don't know if uses active
wear-leveling, but it's been good to me. I use it in place of my desktop
mostly now for almost 3yr, and it's been solid, but non-redundant. My last
laptop took at least redundant mssd's with a pair of samsung 950 pro's that
was great, but my current xps15 has one m2 sadly.

I use some other random ssd's still from failed raid pairs as odd drives
(if it dies, f-it) still, it just seems random what works. I generally
didn't even reformat leaving them md raid drives, and they work, but in a
pair once _always_ died, till the Samsungs.

-mb