Re: SSDs versus spinning-rust drives

+ (text/html)
Author: Brian Cluff
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: SSDs versus spinning-rust drives
They are great... just make sure you don't fill them completely full so
they have space to spread out writes for wear leveling.

The only ssd's that I have seen die are the ones that are fill all the
way to the brim so that you system ends up writing over and over to the
same places till the drive is dead.

That being said, I believe that modern SSDs will even move old data
around withing itself to make sure that even writing to the same place
within the drive doesn't happen for extended periods of time.

They are safe and if you haven't experienced using a computer that is
running an SSD before be prepared for the huge speed increase you system
is about to have.... and then when you can move to an NVMe SSD drive, be
prepared for the speed increase again, as they make traditional SSD's
seem slow in comparison.

Once you go SSD you can never go back... It would feel like trading your
high speed internet for dialup.

Brian Cluff