Re: SSDs versus spinning-rust drives

+ (text/html)
Author: David Schwartz
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: SSDs versus spinning-rust drives
Here’s a tip: get a Samsung T5 500GB external device, or a similar one from WD or elsewhere. They’re around $90 or so and have a USB 3.1 V2 interface, so they’re almost as fast as an internal drive.

You can use it for backups, or just plug it into a USB3 port and use it as your working device for files. If you’re working with any kind of media files, you’ll be amazed has much faster it is. Set it up as your temp drive (just don’t unplug it without changing that first!)

I use VMs that are 80-120 GB in size. They were taking 30 minutes to backup / restore to / from a 2.5” external spinning HDD. The Samsung T5 cut that down to 4-6 minutes.

You’ll be amazed!

-David Schwartz