open question(s) to RedHat users

Author: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: open question(s) to RedHat users
> I'm curious to know what you fellow RedHat users are planning to do when
> RedHat Linux gets End-of-life'd?

I will be using Fedora for my personal boxes. Remember, Red Hat will be
providing *significant* assistance to the Fedora project. The perception
that RH is bailing on hobbyists and small business users is just not true
from what I have read. It's just that they are focusing on commercial
users.

I for one believe that the F/OSS community will benefit from the move to a
community-supported distro based on RHL. New software and new versions of
existing software will be available sooner, and security updates will
still be available quickly.

I am seriously bummed about all the flak RH is taking. The loudest gripes
I hear are pretty much false if you actually read the info at the Fedora
home page and the excellent article by Joe Barr at
http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/10/01/1417208&mode=thread&tid=51.

Me personally, I think this is a good move.

> Will you be sticking with your existing RedHat distro?

Yes, in the form of Fedora Linux.

> Will you be switching distros? To what?

Nope.

> Does anyone know if RedHat Enterprise Linux going to be available free
> of charge?

Nope.

> I'm most definitely not trying to invite a distro war. I'm trying to get
> input to help me with my decision on what to do.

I am a dyed-in-the-wool Red Hat guy. However, I came to that decision
after trying several distros including *BSD. All I can tell you is, try
several distros and see what you like. Try Fedora, try Debian, try SUSE,
try Slackware, etc. and then make your choice.

Thomas