open question(s) to RedHat users

Author: Austin Godber
Subject: open question(s) to RedHat users
Bart Garst wrote:
> I'm most definitely not trying to invite a distro war. I'm trying to get
> input to help me with my decision on what to do.
>
> Thx,
> Bart

When the RH EOL became obvious last spring I began a slow migration of
machines to Debian. The EOL was the primary reason. I was faced with a
bunch of new installs and decided that I didn't want to be forced to
reinstall in December or April.

You might find places that backport patches to the older RHs. You might
try doing so yourself. Really, depending on your needs you could get
away with hand compiling all of the essential packages as updates come
out. You are in no way bound to use the RPM packaging. This is
probably what I would do with any servers that I needed to keep up. Or
perhaps I would be learning how to build RPMs from source.

Austin