Re: Vocational Rehab

Author: Steve Litt
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Vocational Rehab
On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 22:09:25 -0700
trent shipley <> wrote:

> I have three disabilities, I'm bipolar (well treated with medication),
> autistic (high functioning), and I have attention deficit disorder.
> (Also, I'm 50, which is effectively another disability.) Three
> disabilities is enough to qualify for Vocational Rehabilitation
> services from the State.
>
> I like programming.

That's the best reason in the world to become a professional programmer.

> I'd like to be in IT, I think. I had a couple
> years of experience back between 2000 and 2002, mostly writing SQL
> queries in Oracle. I have a BA with majors in history (3.5 GPA) and
> math (2.25 GPA), an MA in anthropology, and unsuccessful attempt at a
> PhD in anthropology, an MS in information management, and a community
> college Certificate of Completion in computer programming (CIS
> department, not CS).

Eduationally speaking, you're better qualified as a programmer than
I've ever been, and I was a professional programmer for 14 years.

> There are two major barriers to my getting a job as a programmer.
> First, it seems to involve way too much interaction with people for
> an autistic person.

I can't speak to that, as I have no idea what it's like to be autistic.
I think for most things, communication by email is effective for
programming: Would email be more comfortable for you?

> Second, it requires a four year degree and
> internships. Voc Rehab doesn't want to pay for it, and I can't pay
> for it myself.

I wouldn't count out the possibility of getting a programming or
IT/programming job at a business small enough not to substitute
meaningless "requirements" for an interview with the guy who signs the
checks. I always worked for small to medium businesses as a programmer.

> So the option of web developer came up. The Labor Department's web
> site said you could qualify to enter work as a web developer with a
> post-high school certificate. Unfortunately, I suspect that being a
> web developer requires even more people contact than being a
> programmer.

Probably so, because you need to discuss the intricacies of aesthetics
and user interface in addition to functionality. That being said, I've
gotten the impression that most web programming is done remotely and
therefore communication is via email. Would that help at all?

SteveT

Steve Litt
October 2017 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21