Vocational Rehab

+ (text/html)
Author: trent shipley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Vocational Rehab
Dear plug-discuss,

I currently work as a telephone customer service representative. There are
no sales, but I still hate it, it pays poorly, and I'm bad at it.

I have three disabilities, I'm bipolar (well treated with medication),
autistic (high functioning), and I have attention deficit disorder. (Also,
I'm 50, which is effectively another disability.) Three disabilities is
enough to qualify for Vocational Rehabilitation services from the State.

I like programming. I'd like to be in IT, I think. I had a couple years of
experience back between 2000 and 2002, mostly writing SQL queries in
Oracle. I have a BA with majors in history (3.5 GPA) and math (2.25 GPA),
an MA in anthropology, and unsuccessful attempt at a PhD in anthropology,
an MS in information management, and a community college Certificate of
Completion in computer programming (CIS department, not CS).

There are two major barriers to my getting a job as a programmer. First, it
seems to involve way too much interaction with people for an autistic
person. Second, it requires a four year degree and internships. Voc Rehab
doesn't want to pay for it, and I can't pay for it myself.

So the option of web developer came up. The Labor Department's web site
said you could qualify to enter work as a web developer with a post-high
school certificate. Unfortunately, I suspect that being a web developer
requires even more people contact than being a programmer.

Nevertheless, my assignment for the week is to talk to two web developers.
I'd appreciate any contacts list members could provide that would be
willing to provide a 20 minute interview about their work, either web
developers or programmers with less than a BS.

Regards and thanks,

Trent Shipley
(junk e-mail account)