Re: Vocational Rehab

Author: Eric Oyen
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Vocational Rehab
I am also a victim of the state vocational rehab system. Being blind, over age 50, etc., I spent the last several years trying to get trained to work with jaws, windows and the office applications. The state closed my case 2 months ago after a year of not assigning me a new caseworker. they declared it a successful resolution. I have filed an appeal, but have not heard from anyone. all messages to the VR ombudsman have gone unanswered.

so, if your VR caseworker/advisor is trying to steer you away from an area that you really have an interest in, stand up to them. do not accept no for an answer. if they get uncooperative, you can call the center for disability law. Once that is done, you might find your case being moved forward more rapidly.

I had to do this back in 2011 when the state delayed my case and then demanded a psych review. Once that review was done, my case was placed on hold. further inquiries were unanswered. it took my calling the center for disability law to get the case re-evaluated and placed on active status. once that happened, I was able to get some of the training I needed (courtesy of the colorado center for the blind). after that, I returned here to arizona and then my case went into slow walk mode. 1 case worker retired, the next was assigned and we were discussing my case. she read my psych review (only she read it out loud without realizing it) and I discovered some potentially damaging comments from that report. 3 weeks after that, she left the agency. it took a further 6 months before I was assigned another case worker. I had him for 2 years and then he had to take medical leave (heart attack) I was then sent to the lions center here in town for further training, which lasted 6 months. That was stopped with no explanation a year ago and then in late july, my case was changed to pending closed. only, I was notified last minute and only in print (on paper) 5 days before closure.

my point in telling all of that? simple! the state is only interested in the money it gets for every client on their roster and they get additional reimbursement when the case is closed and listed as successful. In my case, they breached contract (by not providing me notice in a timely manner and also not in accessible format). the second half of that breach also violated the ADA.

so, when dealing with the state VR, make damned sure your butt is covered! document everything and get legal help if you get delayed for no good reason.

anyway, don't let the state or your disabilities get in the way. develop methods to work around the problems. I know I have had to (and I am still working on some of the issues myself).

btw, I wouldn't mind working in the It field myself. I have a working knowledge of networking, security system setup and administration. I just don't have any verifiable work history (save a lot of under the table work since 1996). it's been 5 years since I got VR to help me and so far, I haven't gotten more than minimal training. my skills have gotten very rusty and there are just some things that are beyond my capability (like working in EFI/bios). so, the longer I languish in my unemployed state, the worse things are going to get. anyway, don't give up!

-eric
from the central office of the Technomage Guild, Dept of attitude readjustment.