Re: Vocational Rehab

+ (text/html)
Author: Kevin Fries
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Vocational Rehab
Hey Trent,

One of the best Network Admins I have ever worked with had Asperger's. So
I know it can be done... But it has some serious challenges.

Most web developers will have more interaction with a wider group of people
than the average programmer in my opinion. Also, good HTML code is far
more subjective than other types of programming. I wonder who diverted you
away from coding... IMHO, software coding is a much, much better option.

Coders generally deal with tickets that deal with functional requirements,
and when done right, acceptance criteria (need a new method on the xxyyzz
controller that takes two parameters and makes the following changes to the
customers account)... Web developers generally work from less focused
requirements that if feature focused (we need a new page added to the web
page to generate a request for our sales department to contact them)

Finally, whoever told you a programmer, especially a 50+ job changer, needs
a degree to be a software developer? I have worked in many different
aspects of IT, I program in Ruby, Python, Java, and Node, (plus if you get
me drunk enough, I'll admit to Go), I have worked as a Network Admin, and
now work supporting developers in a web SaaS company as a DevOps Engineer.
And I have no degree.

I think your advisor needs to focus more on making you successful, and less
on filling some companies whole. If I were helping you, I would take your
unique attributes, and try and find you a Jr Developer position, or even
better, Q/A and Testing. Software testing would also play very well to
tour autistic nature.

Hope this was of some help.
Kevin Fries