Re: Linux Memory (again)

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael Butash
Subject: Re: Linux Memory (again)
I tend to keep tabs on memory a few ways, I use a memory monitor that shows
me used in kde menu tray, and always run htop. I flushed everything and
rebooted a few days ago sending this, but it was green entirely to around
58gb of mem before I started forcibly having to kill things. Killing
everything else I could only get it back to 8-9gb of use, which is still
pretty damn steep, so not sure where the memory is leaking to.

Plasma, KWin, and even SDDM tend to use more memory then they should as
well, certainly growing in footprint over time after a reboot to weeks
later in use.

I've tracked some of the news around the oomkiller features being added in
systemd, probably needs to be a todo item. If the system just killed
firefox or whatever the offender was, it'd be fine, but typically my
desktop will just get wonky as I try to figure out what is up, but often
will end up freezing before I can at that point. Really annoying, as I
tend to lose some unsaved work every time.

Agreed, perhaps just the way I work I *do* need the memory, but I figure
there's got to be some others that do what I do, working on a more standard
system with 8-16gb ram OK, like probably the other 99% of everyone.

-mb

On Sat, Nov 7, 2020 at 7:09 PM Ryan Petris via PLUG-discuss <