Re: Linux Memory (again)

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael Butash
Subject: Re: Linux Memory (again)
Inline:

On Sat, Nov 7, 2020 at 4:26 PM Matt Graham via PLUG-discuss <
> wrote:

> On 2020-11-06 18:28, Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> > On Fri, 6 Nov 2020 07:48:40 -0700
> > Michael Butash wrote:
>
> This is definitely not a common thing. I have never had more than one
> profile. Then again, I have only worked for one company at a time,
> never 6 at the same time. Don't you also have something crazy like 4
> monitors at the same time?

I don't like it either, as my memory footprint grows exponentially with
each. Office365/Teams is the goddamn devil here, as I tend to always work
for microsoft-y companies, and they simply do not work well if logged into
separate domains/orgs for me unless I keep them segregated to profiles in
either Chrome or Firefox. This was a recommendation from gsuite support
when I first opened my business and had a hard time keeping things separate
even between personal and work. Microshite's Teams app under linux hasn't
figured out how to log into multiple domains/orgs at once (ffs, just copy
Slack features), so I have to run them all in different browsers.

And yeah, a bit crazy probably, 3x 4k/60 displays (laptop built-in + 2x 4k
tv's via TB3 dock). Before it was 6x 1080p's... :)

> > Chrome/Chromium and Firefox are absolute pigs. I finally tamed Firefox
> > by setting it to drop all cache and other stuff upon exit, and then I
> > shut down all instances of Firefox every day.
>
> While I don't do that, I find I need to do that every week or so. I
> have noticed that on OS X firefox, any animated GIF displayed in the
> active tab causes CPU usage to skyrocket and the fan to start blowing.
> Guess how many cow-orkers constantly post animated emojis in the work
> Slack instance?

I have this bit of an issue too with Teams. Running each profile, I keep
firefox Task Manager pinned, and watch what are the worst offenders. Worst
is always M$ teams using 300-400mb ram, O365 email/calendar second,
Hangouts, Gmail, Gcalendar a bit under, and rest get tab suspended
regularly. Still somehow across numerous profiles, Firefox feels it needs
30-40gb of memory

> What the heck kind of editor requires 3-4GB RAM? That sounds crazy to
> > me. Why do you have a few dozen files open simultaneously?
>
> As a counterpoint, kate with 10 files open has an RSS of 132M. Having
> 36 files open in an editor seems a bit crazy to me as well, but I
> usually have 3 to 6 files open in vim, and vim like most text editors
> loads the entire file into memory. 36 files that are all 86M or so
> would easily account for 3G. Text files that are written by people are
> almost never that large, but log files....

Don't disagree here, but figure I'm not the only one working with large
text blobs either that this seems a nasty issue. Maybe a better question
is if there is a better software. Sadly there's no IDE's for dealing with
Cisco, Juniper, Arista, PAN, etc, so my life revolves around raw text at
times, and lots of it.

> > Libreoffice is kind of a pig. Is there something else you can use? And
> > why a dozen or two simultaneous files open? This sounds like a
> > workflow nightmare. Do you mean one Libreoffice instance with 24 files
> open
>
> That seems the most likely scenario.

Just one Libreoffice with a lot of files. Nice part is I can kill -9 it
and reopen right back to where I was at. Again, multiple customers,
multiple docs, price lists from vendors, sometimes rather complex formulas
I use for configuration generation, Libreoffice does a _lot_ for me and how
I work, but hell, it tends to use less memory than my text editor even if
~4gb of ram.

> 2015-vintage machine, 8G. I started KDE on Oct. 20, and top says 3912
> M used. Most of this is firefox, not KDE, though. Maybe this is a
> distro thing? Gentoo is somewhat more conservative than most distros
> when it comes to versions and features. Also I've turned baloo off. I
> don't need "file indexing", I can use grep -r like a normal person. :-P

Interesting note on baloo - every now and then it's gone mad for me and
I've killed it. I know where my files are, I really don't need an idiot
search either. Good point.

I used ubuntu for years, it wasn't much if any more memory friendly. I
moved to arch trying to help that, but really about the same. Not tried
gentoo in years, but suspect it's more usage than the distro hearing some
of the input.

AMD FX 3.8 GHz 4-core, 8G, no special handling of firefox. However, I
> only have one browser profile and generally only one browser window, no
> VMs running, only 1 monitor, and rarely use LibreOffice. Current GUI
> things are 1 Barrier, 2 Dolphin windows, 2 Gwenview windows, 1 konsole,
> 1 kcalc, 1 GNUcash, 1 Gimp, 1 System Settings, 1 Firefox window with 13
> tabs, and the general KDE stuff that runs in the background. Note that
> YMMV.

So just some perspective, right now for apps::

Slack (logged into 6 different orgs), Telegram, Postman, and Signal all as
(slovenly) Electron apps.
Libreoffice with ~20 docs of varying complexity.
About 20 pluma text files of varying text sizes (30-50mb a piece on some,
yes big).
Two windoze vms, one linux network management server, a file harvesting
appliance of mine (weekend show time), and a tails vm. ~20gb ram allocated
hard.
Few dolphin windows for file movement.
Pulseaudio Volume Control (which in itself has been notorious for memory
leaks).
Firefox, 5-6 profiles, half-dozen tabs at least, some far more.
Rhythmbox for music beats.
Fairly current KDE 5.19.5.

This gets a bit crazier during the week(s), but this is my staple, just
perhaps scales more horizontal than I probably should.

Really appreciate the feedback here all!