Re: Linux Memory (again)

Author: Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Steve Litt
Subject: Re: Linux Memory (again)
On Sat, 07 Nov 2020 19:19:29 -0700
Ryan Petris via PLUG-discuss <> wrote:

> Lastly, if we're ever going to see mass-market usage of Linux,

We already have mass market Linux usage, on the server. If you mean on
the desktop, I haven't seen much movement from Windows desktops to Linux
desktops this century.

> desktop environments like Gnome and KDE are going to be the ones to
> take us there.

I think it's statements like the preceding that cause it to be true.
LXDE is very simple, with a panel and a start button, that anybody can
operate. Windows 8 and 10 are messes that must be learned, by trial and
error, over time.

> Realistically, no normie coming from Windows/MacOS is
> going to want to use something like OpenBox or other minimal window
> managers like DWM, i3, etc..

True. They'd need a panel. LXDE, LXQt, and even the slightly bloatier
and less reliable xfce come to mind.

As far as normies, we've been trying to bring them to the Linux desktop
and failed. Few Linux desktop users are normies.

> They're going to want it to just work,
> with an interface that has familiar concepts to the ones they're used
> to if it doesn't flat out look like Windows or MacOS.

From what I've seen of MacOS, LXDE looks kind of like it. As far as
looking like Windows 10, I don't know of anybody who likes that kind of
interface. It was created to make a computer screen look like a
smartphone and vice versa, and became a workflow mess because of that.

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive