Re: Linux Memory (again)

+ (text/html)
Author: Ryan Petris via PLUG-discuss
To: Ryan Petris via PLUG-discuss
CC: Ryan Petris
Subject: Re: Linux Memory (again)
> Gnome and KDE are luxuries for folks with lightning fast processors and
> huge quantities of RAM, who want their computers to perform like a 2015
> computer with 4GB RAM.

Gnome doesn't use that much RAM at all -- on a system with lots of RAM and when running Wayland, I've found that typically about 800MB of RAM is in use total once the system is booted. This includes the typical services you'd have running for Gnome as well, such as NetworkManager, D-Bus, PulseAudio, etc..

On systems with less RAM, I've seen this get all the way down to a few hundred MB after boot.

Additionally, as far as I know, Gnome makes use of the GPU to render the shell and other UI elements, and therefore would actually free up the CPU to perform other tasks, thus theoretically being faster than something like OpenBox which I imagine does not use GPU rendering. That said if you don't have a GPU or have to fallback to the VESA driver then you may have a problem. If you have any decent GPU though from the last 15 years you should be just fine.

Lastly, if we're ever going to see mass-market usage of Linux, desktop environments like Gnome and KDE are going to be the ones to take us there. Realistically, no normie coming from Windows/MacOS is going to want to use something like OpenBox or other minimal window managers like DWM, i3, etc.. They're going to want it to just work, with an interface that has familiar concepts to the ones they're used to if it doesn't flat out look like Windows or MacOS.