Re: Linux Memory (again)

+ (text/html)
Author: Ryan Petris via PLUG-discuss
To: Ryan Petris via PLUG-discuss
CC: Ryan Petris
Subject: Re: Linux Memory (again)
I think maybe you're looking at this the wrong way -- what use is having a lot of ram if it's not going to be used? This is how the kernel and some userspace programs think about it.

When you look at memory usage, how much is actually in use vs cache? Cache is the yellow part of the bar in Htop. If there's just a bunch of cache used, this is normal as the kernel isn't really going to drop cache unless there's a reason to, and it will do so automatically when more memory is needed by anything; thus, you shouldn't really look at cache memory as "in use".

As for Chrome and possibly Firefox, they use a lot of RAM, yes, however they also somehow tell the OOM killer to kill their processes first in the even of an OOM condition. Here's a description of how this is handled in ChromiumOS however I imagine it's the same in regular Linux: https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/chromiumos-design-docs/out-of-memory-handling

Therefore, unless random programs start getting killed left and right, I personally wouldn't worry about it.