Linux Memory (again)

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: PLUG Phoenix List
CC: Michael Butash
Subject: Linux Memory (again)
Memory usage is getting frustrating for me, as whether I use 64gb of ram,
or 128gb, I still tend to exhaust memory on my system. My laptop currently
has 64gb, and started freaking out this morning, to find I was hitting
oom's again with browsing and some general use as wake up.

Trying to figure out with htop what is using all my memory, firefox was a
big consumer, using ~25gb of ram once killed. Yeah, it's like that.
Chrome was typically worse. I use 6 profiles, as I have to for different
companies I consult for, mostly due to different gsuite accounts and
different o365 accounts that will not play nice in a same profile. Same
for Chrome. I figure I can't be the only person that does this, perhaps
so, but the memory utilization with with only a few tabs on each is
astounding.

I tend to run several VM's at a time, a full instance of windoze10 or two
with 4-8gb of ram work fine.

I use pluma text editor a lot as the gedit fork from mint, which I'll find
uses 3-4gb of memory with a few dozen text files open. Of text. Doesn't
seem to be worth a few gig of ram.

Libreoffice itself tends to use 3-4gb of memory keeping a dozen or two
files open, which again flipping between several customers, I tend to work
on, review, etc constantly.

Even on boot, kde tends to use ~3.5gb of memory, and after running for a
few week or two, with everything else killed, will start consuming ~9gb
with nothing else running. No idea where it goes.

My question is how the heck do others run linux with only 4-8gb of ram on a
"normal" system? Most linux users are likely IT professionals like myself,
just curious what the heck I'm doing wrong.

-mb