Re: standalone mic

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: standalone mic
Hi Hans,

I went through this a few weeks ago and spent half a day digging on if I
should get a better mic.

Right now I use mostly a Jabra 510 conferencing "puck"
<https://www.jabra.com/Business/speakerphones/jabra-speak-series/jabra-speak-510>,
which usually works great for me under any linux. It also has bluetooth
for mobile, but I've found it seems to have audio sync issues then, and
everyone hates me on a call for using it. Audio quality is stellar for
voice over usb, both recording and playback, and works well with zoom,
webex, uberconf, mostly whatever actually works under linux (ie NOT
gotomeeting, still).

This is actually my 3rd 510 unit - wired devices have a tendency to get
caught on my chair and get ripped out of their sockets, or wiring out of
the device... Another downside, pesky wires.

I saw the links others have responded with for "how to podcast", and was
down to either go with Blue Yeti, or more likely a HyperX Quadcast mic
<https://www.hyperxgaming.com/us/microphone/quadcast-gaming-microphone>,
but didn't want a situation where I *had* to use a set of monitor
headphones to isolate sound or get potential sync/echo issues as I have
using different in/out audio sinks. I have a nice logitech 5.1 setup in my
office, but using separate mic and output devices always gets me echo and
noise, linux doesn't seem to handle that well.

I like to consider myself somewhat knowledgeable with audio devices, so
even looked at getting an XLR production-quality mic and xlr input device
for linux, but end of the day realized what I have with my Jabra 510
Conference puck does 80% of what I need today, and saved myself a few
hundred bucks in parts I probably didn't need to add to my desk clutter,
potentially sketch hardware drivers for linux, etc. Again just stayed
where I was...

I also have a Plantronics headset Blackwire 600 I've had from around the
same time, and as a headset works great. Both my Jabra 510 puck and
blackwire headset are oldies but goodies, common on ebay used cheap, but of
course right now you probably don't want to buy other peoples used stuff
they've spat on or even held...

HTH!

-mb