Re: standalone mic

Author: der.hans
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: standalone mic
Am 27. Mar, 2020 schwätzte Ryan Petris so:

moin moin,

> If you're looking for a small travel microphone, this is apparently a good one:
>
> https://youtu.be/Yyuk3--FWfs

A nice video on why to not just yank it apart :).

I hadn't thought about having a travel mic. I presumed they'd be expensive
or not better than my headset. The samsung go might fit well for a few
tasks for me if we're ever allowed to travel again..

At $40ish with both cardoid and omnidirectional, it looks like a good
place to start. Mounting on a laptop (or book ) for music lessons is a
useful feature in my particular case.

ciao,

der.hans

> On March 27, 2020 4:41:42 PM MST, "der.hans" <> wrote:
>> moin moin,
>>
>> With everyone else suddenly going online I need to finally improve some
>> of
>> my versatility.
>>
>> Any recommendations for microphones?
>>

>> Needs:
>>
>> * something that does well with voice, e.g. podcasts, presentations,
>> meetings
>>
>> * something that will work for an acoustic instrument
>>
>> * works with laptops and desktops
>>
>> * can eliminate background noises
>>
>> * works with debian/Ubuntu
>>

>> Wants:
>>
>> * one mic to rule them all rather than needing multiple mics
>>
>> * works with cellphones
>>
>> * wired connection option
>>
>> * inexpensive
>>
>> * can be used in an open room with someone else joining the same chat
>> room
>> in a different room in the house without flashback sound effects
>>
>> * can be used in an open room with someone else joining the same chat
>> room
>> in a different room in the house with flashback sound effects because
>> kidling thinks it's hilarious :)
>>

>> We already have that last feature with the current setup.
>>
>> For the most part, mic use can be in isolated parts of house. I might
>> end
>> up needing multiple mics. If so, preferably they'd all be the same, but
>> that's not strictly a requirement. Most likely, I'll be buying one mic
>> and
>> multiple headsets with mics.
>>
>> Preferably, I'll be buying from Newegg.
>>
>> ciao,
>>
>> der.hans
>> --
>> # https://www.LuftHans.com https://www.PhxLinux.org
>> # Linux Fest Northwest cancelled, working to get presentations online
>> # https://www.lfnw.org/conferences/2020
>> # The key to making programs fast is to make them do practically
>> # nothing. ;-) -- Mike Haertel, 2011Aug21

# https://www.LuftHans.com https://www.PhxLinux.org
# Linux Fest Northwest cancelled, working to get presentations online
# https://www.lfnw.org/conferences/2020
# "Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man