Re: standalone mic

Author: der.hans
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: standalone mic
Am 28. Mar, 2020 schwätzte David Schwartz so:

moin moin David,

> HA! You’re asking for a one-size-fits-all computer, OS, and programming language!

Shell on debian on generic AMD box :).

But, yeah, I understand sound isn't as simple as those things are.

Thanks for the detailed answer. Reminded me of a lot of things and
definitely expanded my knowledge.

> Mics are inherently very specialized pieces of equipment. You choose a mic to fit your need. Anything even approxminating a one-size-fits-all solution is not going to produce good results for a wide range of needs.
>
> The only truly solid thing I can recommend is to look for a “unidirectional” mic. That would be one with a “cardioid” or “hypercardioid” pickup pattern rather than “omnidirectional”.

The mentioned samsung go has both and you can switch back and forth.
Simple for use with a laptop is also a win for family use.

> Omnidirectional mics pick up everything in the room, and are the main source of feedback you hear when people have their computer speakers on.
>
> FWIW, most lapel mics (the ones that clip onto your shirt) are almost all omni’s. They tend to be paired with transmitter packs that have ALC so they don’t pickup a lot of room noise, just the loudest signal nearby.
>

> Another general recommendation if you want to use it with a computer is that you typically have two choices:
>
> 1) get a mic with a built-in A/D converter and a USB plug on it; or
>
> 2) get a mic with a common XLR (3-pin) connector on it and a decent mixer / preamp / computer interface.
>
> A mic with a USB connector on it will be mostly “plug-n-play” for most situations and fairly universal. It’ll look like a sound card and USB port.

Last time I tried a standalone USB mic ( close to a decade ago ), it
didn't come up. I presume things have gotten better.

> They typically come with a desk stand, or are designed to be mounted on a mic stand or moveable arm.
>

> There are generally two kinds of mics: dynamic and condenser. Actually, they’re ALL dynamic, but some have a preamp built in, and they’re called “condenser” mics. So you need "phantom power” to make them work, and you get it from a preamp or mixer. (Some take batteries, but most use phantom power.)
>
> Mics have different sensitivity levels and different abilities to handle high Sound Pressure Levels (SPLs). You put mics that can handle high SPLs on drums and brass instruments.
>
> Electric guitars have pickups built-in and they put out line-level signals that are much higher than typical mics. Keyboards also put out line-level signals.
>
> Acoustic guitars and woodwinds would use mics that are good for vocals. They’d also be good for podcasting, voiceovers, and Zoom-type meetings. Don’t use them for drums or brass instruments or you’re likely to damage them.

I was worried that a vocal mic might not do a good job with the ranges
needed for the violin. Don't want a bunch of shrieking for the music
teacher, compression of what she's listening for or just dropping out
range.

> The most popular all-purpose mics in the world are the Shure SM57 and SM58 (and its little brother, the SM48). You’ll need a preamp to use them with your computer. Shure also makes some nice USB mics with desk stands.

Just got to that portion of Ed's video and the first guy there also
recommends the SM58.

> Many USB mics have a rather retro look to them.
>

> A lot of people get these big (4”) round things on a gooseneck that are suspended in front of the mic. I think they’re pretty silly unless you’re doing professional-level sound. They’re used as “pop filters”. A foam windscreen that goes over the mic is just as effective most of the time, and a lot cheaper.

In today's world a big dorky spit guard sounds like a great idea :). I
might get one for wearing when going to the store!

> Mics designed to sit on your desk typically have foam inside the mic. An external foam windscreen is good today because you can take it off and wash it.
>

> You could consider a gaming headset; they’re going to have both a mic and headphones, along with either a USB plug or two 1/8” connectors (pink and green, for the mic and headphones). Headsets usually have omni mics on them, which is OK since you’re listening through the headphones.

We used a headset today. I haven't yet heard back from the instructor
about how it sounded on her side.

I need something simple for family to use. That was the primary reason for
asking today.

For me a good headset is probably sufficient for everyhing I do today.
What I do tomorrow might change, which was the second prompt for the
email. That might also get me to check into a mixer for me.

I will be asking later about a more complex setup for a friend. She needs
to start video casting due to no longer being able to do face to face
stuff and can't just wait for everything to blow over.

She's got a small initial budget, so we'll probably just start with a mic.

Her background is radio and she'll eventually want to do more complex
stuff like she's used to in a studio. At that point we'll definitely have
to move to a more robust setup. She might even insist on that to begin
with. We'll see.

In any case, I'll be going over your points with her in the near future.

ciao,

der.hans