Re: standalone mic

+ (text/html)
Author: David Schwartz
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: standalone mic

> On Mar 28, 2020, at 12:16 AM, der.hans <> wrote:
>
> Am 28. Mar, 2020 schwätzte David Schwartz so:
>
> moin moin David,
>

>> A lot of people get these big (4”) round things on a gooseneck that are suspended in front of the mic. I think they’re pretty silly unless you’re doing professional-level sound. They’re used as “pop filters”. A foam windscreen that goes over the mic is just as effective most of the time, and a lot cheaper.
>
> In today's world a big dorky spit guard sounds like a great idea :). I
> might get one for wearing when going to the store!
>
>> Mics designed to sit on your desk typically have foam inside the mic. An external foam windscreen is good today because you can take it off and wash it.

HAHA! It’s not so much a “spit guard” as for diffusing plosives — Ps, Ds, Ts, Ks, etc, push out a small blast of air. If you’re close enough to the mic, it creates a big “boom” of sorts.

Some people think these things direct sound or do something to make you sound better. They’re just wind guards when the wind in question is coming from one direction — your mouth.

I’ve seen folks set them up on mics several feet away from people, in front of mics set up to record instruments, etc.

If you’re not within a couple of feet of the mic and facing it directly, then they’re useless.

-David Schwartz