Re: standalone mic

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: standalone mic
A buddy of mine uses a yeti mic on conference calls like me, and he's got
the wrap-around spit/pop sheild on his rig. It sounded great, so I got to
looking around, and the HyperX mic has a built-in anti-pop mechanism that
saved on the external unit, better or worse. Saw new ones for sale on ebay
for ~$120 bucks, but I fear audio sync issues with my external speakers and
a separate mic as I get whenever I've tried this. Why I stay with my Jabra
conferencing puck as it tends to work well via usb.

Monoprice sells various bits like the anti-pop shield, various mics, even
higher-end xlr units through their audio production kit. You can get most
everything you need for professional audio cheaply.

Wires are the worst for me, I too destroy headsets or anything wired
regularly. Bluetooth always simply sucks to use, especially with linux as
an audio device. Still something linux fails to ever get right. I began
looking for some more professional wireless mic systems to use, but again
got exotic quickly that I didn't want to spend 3-4 hundred bucks on
marginal increases over my conference puck. I'd love to hear of a good
professional, non-bluetooth wireless setup with some range (around the
house), noise cancellation, etc, usb or other. I still mostly rely on my
bose wired headset to my phone for that.

-mb