Re: OT Arizona drivers

Author: Kevin Brown
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT Arizona drivers

>> It's not just when it gets wet that it is dangerous, though.
>>

>>> Roads are dangerous because idiots can't be bothered to think farther
>>> than 1 second ahead. Wet, dry, cold, hot, doesn't matter they still
>>> drive like madmen. Diving across lanes, puttering at 45 when flow in 75,
>>> turning left from the right hand lane, turning right from the left hand
>>> lane, etc.
>>
>> Arizona drivers are, hands down, the absolute worst, most inconsiderate,
>> most careless, most reckless drivers I have ever experienced in 40+ years
>> of driving in 30+ states in the US and in England. I lived here for three
>> years before I saw the first Arizona Highway Patrol vehicle stop one of
>> these lunatics. The evidence of just how bad it is can be seen in the
>> dailiy refreshed black skid marks cris-crossing the freeways and the absurd
>> number of residue of crashes into the concrete barriers that can be
>> throughout the valley, especially on 60 where I drive most.
>

> I also agree.
>

>> Sorry for the rant. I've called 911 to report several of the most extreme
>> offenders and I've written to the state highway patrol several times, but
>> I get the impression that they really don't care. I've had Arizona highway
>> patrol vehicles pass me going 10-20 mph faster than the speed limit when
>> they were just crusing along with no lights or sirens.
>

> Arizona law enforcement officers have an understanding amongst themselves:
> flash your badge == no ticket.
>
> If you think about that, cops rarely pull anyone over for reckless driving.
> You have to be pretty bad to get their attention. Cop or no cop, if a person
> is driving that bad they should be cited.
>
> As for Mike comment about 55 being more dangerous that driving 70 to keep up
> with traffic... You have a valid point except for a couple issues. 1)
> Wouldn't it be safer if everyone was driving 55 instead of 70? Just because
> you can't obey the law, doesn't mean everyone should. 2) How fast is the
> vehicle designed to go? Most of those skid marks are from vehicles exceeding
> their "safe" speed. Anyone care to guess at which speed a set of standard
> highway tires begin to de-laminate in 110 degree heat? It's a lot lower than
> you might think.

Actually, most of the black marks seen are from the highways suffering rapid
speed changes and drivers being too close together having to slam on their
brakes to try and slow down. The same is most likely true for why the concrete
barriers have taken so much damage. It isn't the speed itself, or the
temperature, for if it was those, then you wouldn't see just skid marks, but car
tires in pieces as well.