Installing specific version of X on Debian/Knoppix

Author: der.hans
Subject: Installing specific version of X on Debian/Knoppix
Am 07. Aug, 2003 schw=E4tzte Deepak Saxena so:

> Warning: I'm a complete debian newbie
>
> I just installed Knoppix on my system and I've run into a
> slight situation I'm not sure how to deal with.
>
> I've got an ATI Radeon9000 and to get full usage out of it,
> I need to install the ATI binary drivers. These are available
> in XFree 4.1.x and 4.2.x flavors. Knoppix by default ships
> with XFree 4.3.0, so this means the driver won't load. I need
> to move to XFree 4.2.0 and was wondering if there is a way
> to force installation of specific version of package with apt-get?

Show up to my presentation next Thu to learn how ;-).

For now, use the '=3D' to specify a version when installing.

$ apt-cache show xserver-xfree86 | grep ^Vers
Version: 4.2.1-9
Version: 4.2.1-6
Version: 4.1.0-16

# apt-get install xserver-xfree86=3D4.2.1-9

See cafod for more info.

https://www.LuftHans.com/unix/

See www.apt-get.org for unofficial packages. Brandon, the X maintainer has
unofficial packages available from his repository. That's where the one on
Knoppix came from :).

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then
#  you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and
#  I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have
#  two ideas. -- George Bernard Shaw