Installing specific version of X on Debian/Knoppix

Author: Austin Godber
Subject: Installing specific version of X on Debian/Knoppix
Deepak Saxena wrote:
> I've got an ATI Radeon9000 and to get full usage out of it,
> I need to install the ATI binary drivers. These are available
> in XFree 4.1.x and 4.2.x flavors. Knoppix by default ships
> with XFree 4.3.0, so this means the driver won't load. I need
> to move to XFree 4.2.0 and was wondering if there is a way
> to force installation of specific version of package with apt-get?

I am assuming that you have tried using the binaries and it failed correct? I
have succesfully used binary Matrox drivers designed for 4.2 in exactly the same
situation. So if you haven't tried, try now. Uhm that may be bad advice ...
but I have never seen a monitor smoke ... only power supplies and motherboards.

That aside, you may be able to go through a somewhat painful process of removing
4.3 (synaptic or dselect will rip all the dependancies out ... ouch but you
may have luck), the repository for which is specified in your
/etc/apt/sources.list as something like:

deb http://people.debian.org/~branden/packages sid/i386/
deb-src http://people.debian.org/~branden/packages sid/source/
deb http://www.penguinppc.org/~daniels/sid/i386 ./
deb-src http://www.penguinppc.org/~daniels/sid/source ./

if you comment those out your options for X servers should be reduced to that
provided by the other mirrors in the sources list. Namely the
http://ftp.de.debian.org/testing/ entry.

Your system by default will be set for testing, check /etc/apt/apt.conf ... the
line with Default-Release. This will say "testing".

Actually I don't know how apt handles the situation where multiple versions of
the same package exist (as does in the default Knoppix sources.list ...).
Presumably it will update to the latest version.

So the scenario is this:
o There are two versions of XFree86 pointed to in your apt database
o removing the repository that contains one of them from sources.list
o remove existing x-window-system
o this will leave you with other, presumably older version in apt db
o now install that version of x-window-system as specified in debian docs:

Please note, this sucks ... you will remove lots of things you ultimately want
(ie all packages that depend on X, but you may have dep problems anyway). I
don't know if there is a way to "downgrade" to the older version. I know you
can "pin" an application to a specific version ... aha ... here ... perhaps you
should ignore everything I said and read this:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html#s-pin

This is very interesting ... I have not played with it so YMMV.

I will play with it soon though.

Oh questions for anyone out there ... can I dist-downgrade? Say from testing to
stable?

Austin

PS - Sorry that this is so train of thought.