Re: I read chip maker TSMC is a sweatshop

+ (text/html)
Author: George Toft via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: George Toft
Subject: Re: I read chip maker TSMC is a sweatshop
There was no judgement in my statements - just observations and
arithmetic.  Nor am I making any assertion about value - indeed, for my
current role, my value is only determined by the lack of Eric Snowden
type of security breaches.

If you want to hear judgements, I can digress on how government-backed,
guaranteed, student loans inflated the price of education, and how the
government should have never gotten involved with it and they shouldn't
have nationalized it,  but I won't :)

Funny you should mention the competition.  I had a friend from Singapore
who had to go to England for her Undergraduate degree and then to the US
for her Graduate because she couldn't get into college in Singapore.

I have been a staunch supporter of the college system in this country,
but I work with people who have no college, and some of us have Graduate
degrees.  For the field I'm in, one could self-learn and avoid college.
And as I retrain for my next career, I have also returned to college and
am becoming very disillusioned.  The curriculum is teaching tool sets
rather than concepts, and at this point, I can pick up some vendor
training and certifications for free and some 4-day industry workshops
for the same price as a 3 semester hour class.  So why should I go to
college?

Regards,

George Toft