Re: I read chip maker TSMC is a sweatshop

+ (text/html)
Author: James Mcphee via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: James Mcphee
Subject: Re: I read chip maker TSMC is a sweatshop
You would think so, but it's more complicated. We're not getting the top
performers. Those are being snapped up by governments and companies that
directly interface with the educational institutions. Also, take
Argentina, for example. Back in early 2000's (when i was working with
george, small world), the company we worked for opened up outsourcing in
Argentina and sent us down there to train them. Driving through Buenos
Aires we saw Sun and Oracle also opening up outsourcing locations. All 3
companies wanted 10k people. Though the high performers, those with
education and experience, were on par with US staff, that totalled less
than 2500 people in Argentina at the time (numbers from
Argentinan government should stlil be available for the curious). After a
couple years, we had taken some of the educated but not experienced and
given them experience, and this expanded the pool, but not the 30k wanted
by just the 3 companies. Also, those who could stopped applying for the
1/4 pay jobs (1/6 at the time) and applied for the better pay jobs, as
you'd expect. Because if you're worth it, companies will pay for it.

There's this rubber-band effect when a labor market is opened where it
balances itself against cost very quickly, and then you end up with
corruption in the system. For example, many of the Indian outsource
companies I worked with would send the educated, not experienced, people
over here at low pay to gain experience, then once they had the experience
they went back home and took a leadership or teaching role and we lost out
on the gains of providing the training. We didn't look down on this. Who
wouldn't want to be able to live a great life with their family where they
grew up at the cost of 4-5 years living abroad? But we had to factor it
in. Some did stay, but that wasn't the norm. And often we got to work
with them remotely, which was great.

By corruption in the system, I mean that the goals of outsourcing for the
company were being gamed in ways we weren't anticipating (not political
corruption, but more like fragmenting the hard drive. it just gets less
efficient over time). Although there was also corruption in the political
way once the people with that ability saw it as an opportunity. This is
not unique, but it's the norm with most outsourcing. As you would expect,
but at the time it was quite the surprise. These days, doing research on
the country you're considering outsourcing to is a must.

At this point, we've learned a lot about the globalization of labor and
what expectations to have. The HR people doing this are rarely dumb. They
know that if they're offering 44k/year, they're going to get educated, but
not experienced. Or educated and experienced, but unable to perform for
some reason. Or desperate. And I think this last one is part of what
makes our consciences twitch.

Anyway, I haven't given this enough thought to be coherent, but wanted to
get a couple of my thoughts out there.

On Fri, Jul 7, 2023 at 2:39 PM trent shipley via PLUG-discuss <

James McPhee