Re: I read chip maker TSMC is a sweatshop

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Michael Butash
Subject: Re: I read chip maker TSMC is a sweatshop
> QUESTION?
>
> I understand TSMC produces the most chips in the world, and is located
> in Taiwan . Where did they get that technology and who paid for that
> technology?

Being old enough to be there and experience the start of mass-production of
copy/duplicate/counterfeit goods in the late 70's and 80's, I'd say it all
started with "Made in Taiwan" goods.

From my perspective from childhood on, it was in the form of knock-off
toys, brand name fashions, CD's, tools, you name it, it was everywhere new
and used, and it was all "Made in Taiwan". Not sure if it was them simply
getting the impetus to clone our stuff, or someone surreptitiously asking
them to do so to undercut established brands from here. Either way, it set
off the flood into our domestic markets for crapgadgets.

Taiwan goods were always just a bit crappier, sort of mislabled, would
always break early if not out of box, would never fit quite right, but hey
it was a fraction of the price! In my teens my focus was tools growing up
to be a mechanic, and buying second-hand goods would always see a direct
clone of a $100 "Snap-On" brand high-end wrench as a $5 "Stack-On" clone
from Taiwan. Harbor Freight made a name and business selling knock-off
American "Chicago Pneumatic" tools as "Central Pneumatic" (many others
too), all Made in Taiwan (now China), and still does.

In the 80's, US orgs began asking Taiwan to actually make these things for
us including eventually semiconductors for us, even giving them the plans,
when they already had the clone game down pimp tight. That's about the
time China took over and now frowns upon mentioning Taiwan as anything
other than China, thus generically everything is "Made in China" since then.

As we sent our engineering designs there to get bargains in production, and
taught them how to make our things including the machinery. Eventually
those copies as part of reverse engineering became prototypes, continued to
be made and improved on, if not in quality, in profit margins to make them
cheaper, even eventually adapting into new products. As it was always
explained to me, it starts with them making "one for me, then one for
themselves", and later "one for me, two for themselves", ad nauseam.

Next thing you know you have Coach purses rolling out of the same factory
as the Couch purses that look the same sold in swap meets and alleyways
around the world, barely indistinguishable except the receipt. Even worse
now, you get things like selling counterfeit Cisco switches to everything
from government to education
<https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/ceo-guilty-of-selling-counterfeit-cisco-devices-to-military-govt-orgs/>
using modchips to bypass security on the clone
<https://hackaday.com/2023/02/01/counterfeit-cisco-hardware-bypasses-security-checks-with-modchips/>,
or buying pretty much anything of Amazon is likely a counterfeit clone of a
clone of a clone.

Who's to blame indeed...

-mb

On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 3:29 PM Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss <