Re: I read chip maker TSMC is a sweatshop

Author: Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: techlists
Subject: Re: I read chip maker TSMC is a sweatshop
I asked the question because most of the advances in the world seem to
have come from the good ol USA. And who pays for this? Taxpayers.

Years ago I was at a Christian men's meeting and the speaker said we
should pay for ourselves first. At first that struck me as odd. Then
he went on to say that we must survive and do well so those who are
dependent on us will survive and do well.

Taking care of oneself first is a good concept. If I crash and burn so
does everything that depends on me. It is not selfish is is pure
wisdom.

I studied Just-in-Time (JIT) in college 34 years ago. Two things
happened over the years. We off shored the manufacturing of goods
Americans want. Two, we tighten up the JIT system too much, which has
caused shortages.

I have a special interest in off shore production. I'm talking about
medicine. It is my understanding that a lot of our pharmaceuticals are
made in China. The would is polarized. What happens if China become
even more hostile towards the U.S.?

I think we need to get our own house in order then we will be better
prepared to help others. And yes I do think we should help those who are
less fortunate than us, but not at our expense. If America crashed the
world will follow.