Re: Reliable ISP?

Author: Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss
To: plug-discuss
CC: Steve Litt
Subject: Re: Reliable ISP?
Joe Neglia via PLUG-discuss said on Sun, 14 Nov 2021 11:21:25 -0700

>Any recommendations for a reliable ISP?
>
>(Couldn't find any recent discussion in the PLUG archives, so am asking
>here.)
>
>I currently have a business account (I'm running a small server on a
>static public IP address for my business), but am having a *terrible*
>time with my current ISP. Worked *great* for about a year, but have
>been having daily outages for about a month now.
>
>Don't even want to say the name for fear of being sued for libel. They
>were honest enough to admit it is an "internal issue", and have no ETA
>on a fix. "[Their] technicians continue to work to resolve the
>problem in [my] neighborhood. Currently, there is no estimated time
>for when service will be restored."
>
>I get the feeling they don't have a grasp on the problem, as when I
>call their status line they report an outage even when the system is
>up. When my connection goes down, a modem reboot sometimes (but not
>always) gets me connected again.
>
>Speed is not an issue. But reliability is! Any suggestions would be
>greatly appreciated.

Do you mean an Internet on-ramp at your location, or a remote web host.

If you mean remote web host, I use Futurequest,
https://www.futurequest.net/ , to host Troubleshooters.Com. They're
always up, and never do stupid stuff. They offer something they call
"Dedicated IP Address".

If you mean Internet on-ramp at your location, as far as I know at most
addresses you have one or at the most two choices. Some states have
even outlawed cities providing their own Internet, so that the
monopolists can continue offering horrible service at gold plated rates
without worries of competition.

I'm *fairly* happy with Spectrum. I estimate about 6 outages per
year, so they're not what I would call reliable, but for the most part
they stay up, and if the problem is outside of your property and not
intermittent, they get it fixed within a few hours.

SteveT

Steve Litt