Re: OT: Hardware problem, suggestions please!

Author: Vaughn Treude
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: Hardware problem, suggestions please!
On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 19:35, wrote:
> In a message dated 6/29/2005 7:16:09 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> writes:
>

> >There are a ton of flaky OEM AMD processors around, sometimes coming from
> >otherwise reputable vendors.
>
> o.O
>
> I've never had a processor problem with an AMD chip, even when bought from
> some of the crappiest shops in the universe (won't name names, but they're on
> Broadway right near the 101). K6-233, K6-III-333, Duron 750, Athlon 1200,
> Athlon XP 2000+, Duron 1600, all bought "bare CPU" style, at many different shops,
> and all worked fine.
>
> I think a likelier culprit is that a "fine" CPU is teamed with an
> inappropriate cooler (I have two funny stories about that shop I won't name if anyone
> cares)

I've also had generally good luck with AMD, and Intel as well. So I
generally buy AMD because they're cheaper. My only bad luck was with
Cyrix a few years back. I haven't bought one of those since, if they
even still make them.

Actually, I ordered this motherboard from MWave as a MB/CPU/RAM bundle,
and paid the extra $9 for testing. My mistake, I think, was ordering
their generic memory instead of Kingston. It's a bit aggravating that
their testing (if they did indeed test it) did not catch the memory
problem. But I know that certain RAM errors are hard to catch. It also
seems like the errors were rare at first and became much more frequent
later on.

Vaughn