Re: OT: Hardware problem, suggestions please!

Author: Vaughn Treude
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: Hardware problem, suggestions please!
On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 19:15, KevinO wrote:

> Vaughn Treude wrote:
> > Any ideas or recommendations? I've now tried replacing everything
> > except the drives (though I did try unplugging some of them, didn't
> > help) and the CPU. Maybe I need to get a new CPU - but only if I also
> > replace that profoundly evil heat sink.
> >

> Is this an "OEM" processor by chance, or did it come in an AMD retail package
> with fan.

Hmmm. I just checked my shipping slip from Mwave and I can't find an
actual AMD part number on it. I'll have to take a good look at it next
time I take the heatsink off. I'll need to do that, because after
rereading the instructions for the thermal compound, I believe I used
too much of it, which would explain why it's not cooling properly.

> There are a ton of flaky OEM AMD processors around, sometimes coming from
> otherwise reputable vendors.

> In any case, it sounds like it's time for you to get a different CPU.

Maybe so. Maybe I damaged it with my ham-handedness with the heat sink
clip. It bears repeating that the thing's an SOB to get on and off.

Vaughn