Re: OT: Hardware problem, suggestions please!

Author: Vaughn Treude
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: Hardware problem, suggestions please!
On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 20:55, wrote:
> Okay. I'll accept the possibility of remarks, except:
>
> -The bridges need to be rearranged, which may be evident under
> scrutiny. If so, take it back and raise hell!
>
> -Most series of AXP have the speed rating etched on the top of the
> die, not really easily changed. I think some of the last AXPs and
> Durons moved it to a label (like the PIII).

Well, it's a two-year-old CPU now, so I don't think I can take it back.
:-( One problem I just noticed is that the cabling on the new power
supply, being a bit shorter than that on the old, was restricting the
airflow a bit. That and the fact that I put too freakin' much thermal
compound on the die. So it has to be one of two things:
a) there was a very obscure BIOS setting required to make it work (which
I lost and need to rediscover because the battery was dead), or
b) I damaged the CPU in moving it back and forth.

Nevertheless, thanks to you and Kevin for the input!
Vaughn