Re: OT: OT posts

Author: Victor Odhner
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: OT posts
Bill Earl wrote:
... perhaps a new list more specific for linux questions
or linux technical info would be a better answer. That way
people would have a resource for asking questions about linux,
and getting linux news. With a more specific purpose defined
it might be easier to keep that list under control.

I'd also vote for a moderated list, but the problem there is,
as always, who has time to moderate it?

But again, thanks for bringing this up. It's, well, annoying
to search through the messages looking for linux info.

-------

Vic replies:

Being able to chitchat with the community about vaguely connected
subjects, given things that we have in common, is very valuable.

I like the idea of a "pure" Linux list for those who wish only
to see messages on that subject, though I'm not one of them.

<trial balloon>

A strictly_linux list might be very effective. It should be
titled "strictly_linux". A stern warning should be appended to
every message, something to this effect:

THIS LIST STRICTLY RESERVED FOR DISCUSSION OF GNU/LINUX
DISTRIBUTIONS, SYSTEM LEVEL CONFIGURATION, BOOT MANAGERS AND
WINDOW MANAGERS. YOU WILL BE MODERATED if you do not stay on
topic here. TAKE TANGENTS ELSEWHERE: CHANGE SUBJECT LINE
AND/OR GO TO ANOTHER LIST WHEN CHANGING THE SUBJECT.
The plug_discuss list is for other discussion of Free Software or
FOSS community interest; the plug_devel list welcomes software
development subjects including compiler and "make" questions.

</trial ballon>

Moderation won't work - it kills responsiveness, unless we can
afford a full-time moderator. But mailman does allow certain
contributors to be targeted for moderation; this should be
used by a few key people, with notification but no warning,
for limited escalating periods, as needed for egregious OT-ing
on the strictly_linux list.

Note there is also the aztecofftopic list: <http://www.aztechlist.org>,

We could all troop over there, for extremely OT discussions, but
that is a more varied audience.

Vic