Re: OT: OT posts

Author: Jerry Davis
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: OT posts
On Tuesday 10 May 2005 09:28 am, Bill Earl wrote:

> Alan Dayley wrote:
>
> >While many times interesting, I must say that the off-topic posts are
> >getting a bit much.
> >

> I agree. Political discussions that include the word "linux" a few times
> aren't why I subscribed to this list.

Yet if you are passionate about linux, and equally as passionate against the evil
empire from redmond, you cannot help but post possibly OT items of a political
nature when it relates to FOSS.

You know I get "spammed" in snail mail too. Do you know what I do with that? I
throw it away (delete it) -- so I just mark it read and/or delete them from the
folder. So it is not that bad. I just enjoy all the rest of the posts.

> >So, I have started a discussion among the Steering Committee to see if we
> >want to crank up a plug-misc or plug-whatever list to handle "non-linux"
> >traffic. In the mean time, I, as one PLUG member, vote it is time we get
> >back to discussing PLUG/Linux/FS/OSS stuff here in this list.
> >

> Thank you Alan. Thank you VERY much. And has been pointed out, the off
> topic posters don't seem to realize or care how far off topic they get,
> so I'd suggest maybe instead of trying to steer them elsewhere, perhaps
> a new list more specific for linux questions or linux technical info
> would be a better answer. That way people would have a resource for
> asking questions about linux, and getting linux news. With a more
> specific purpose defined it might be easier to keep that list under
> control.
>
> I'd also vote for a moderated list, but the problem there is, as always,
> who has time to moderate it?
>
> But again, thanks for bringing this up. It's, well, annoying to search
> through the messages looking for linux info.
>
> Bill

Registered Linux User: 275424
Today's Fortune: If Roosevelt were alive, he'd turn over in his grave.
-Samuel
Goldwyn