Re: PLUG website DNS issues

Author: der.hans
To: plug-discuss
New-Topics: Re: PLUG website access issues
Subject: Re: PLUG website DNS issues
Am 21. Apr, 2005 schwätzte der.hans so:

OK, following my own advice I checked DNS when I had issues from my
girlfriend's house last night.

It is indeed a DNS issue, sort of.

Cox recently dropped me down to 1 static IP from 3 static IPs. One of the
static IPs that disappeared was dropped. I will have to move a DNS
server over to my Deru DSL connection this weekend.

ciao,

der.hans

> Am 20. Apr, 2005 schwätzte Jeremy C. Reed so:
>
> > This does not seem to be any DNS issue.
> >
> > The name servers responsible are (according to NS2.DERU.NET. and
> > NS1.DERU.NET.):
> >
> > ns2.sequoia.net. 68.14.243.57
> > ns3.LuftHans.com. 68.110.171.226
> >
> > ns3.LuftHans.com. and ns2.sequoia.net. returns IP 66.98.190.6 for
> > plug.phoenix.az.us.
>
> Yes, when determining if something is a DNS issue, please check DNS
> directly and provide those results. The web site not working could likely
> have nothing to do with DNS issues.
>
> I believe most of those with issues are on cox. Could you check DNS
> directly via host?
>
> host PLUG.phoenix.az.us
>
> lufthans@Schlepptop:~$ host PLUG.phoenix.az.us
> PLUG.phoenix.az.us has address 66.98.190.6
> lufthans@Schlepptop:~$ host -t any PLUG.phoenix.az.us
> PLUG.phoenix.az.us has address 66.98.190.6
> PLUG.phoenix.az.us name server ns2.sequoia.net.
> PLUG.phoenix.az.us name server ns3.LuftHans.com.
>
> If that works try getting to the web site. If that doesn't work try
> getting to the web site via the IP. If connections fail using the IP, then
> it's not DNS. If host fails to resolve then it's either DNS or the
> connection to the DNS server.
>
> danke,
>
> der.hans

#  If you don't think for yourself, others will think for you --
#  to their advantage.  -- Harold Gordon