Re: PLUG website DNS issues

Author: Jeremy C. Reed
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: PLUG website DNS issues
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Mike wrote:

> For one, the SOA is set at 'nina. hostmaster.LuftHans.com.'. (what is
> nina. supposed to resolve to?)

That doesn't matter. "nina." is the host probably where original zone
configuration is hosted. And hostmaster@ is the email address.

> ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)

This is coming from your own cache anyways.

> In either case, it is falling back on deju's name servers for responses.

Where do you see this?

Now looking again, I see that ns1.deru.net and ns2.deru.net also give A
records for this zone. I didn't realize that they provided "A" answers
before since I was looking for NS records previously.

But they are not the authoritative -- no "aa" flags. But both
ns3.LuftHans.com. and ns2.sequoia.net. are authoritative (both have "aa"
flags reported by dig).

Jeremy C. Reed

                 open source, Unix, *BSD, Linux training
                http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/