Re: Action Laser1500

Author: Kurt Granroth
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Action Laser1500
On Jan 31, 2005, at 9:32 PM, wrote:
> Well, I've been happy with my Samsung ML-1210, bought probably 2.5
> years ago at Fry's (at the time it was 150 USD - 50 rebate = 100).
>
> I haven't finished my way through the starter cartridge packed in
> (rated 1000 pages) but note that online dealers have replacements
> (rated 2500) for 40 to 60 USD depending on if remanufactured or new.
>
> However, the model's long gone.  I saw one at the Goodwill recently,
> almost got it for a spare cartridge, but the cart was gone.  I think
> Samsung now offers better models (15 or more ppm versus 12, and the
> design's more enclosed-- on the 1210, the paper sits out, and the
> output tray's vertical so it collects dirt which can't get replaced)
>
> HP also makes (made?) a low-end laser, at the time it was a $200
> competitor with the $175 ML-1210; it was a Winprinter.
>
> I know Brother makes an inexpensive laser, but Brother lasers often
> have a seperate drum and toner cartridge.  The toner's cheap but after
> like 20000 pages the drum goes and it's a "cheaper to throw the
> printer away" replacement.

You are right about the dual nature of Brother laser printers... but
it's so worth it! I've mucked around with a few laser printers in my
day, and can say definitively that Brother printers kick serious ass.

Plus, 20,000 pages is a *lot* of pages. You can print 10 pages a day
for FIVE years with the same drum. And the toner lasts for upwards of
6,000 pages (10 pages a day for two years). AND, if that's not enough,
they aren't that expensive to replace. I just bought a replacement
drum for my HL1270N (see other post for full gory story) for only $50.
And that'll last for another 20,000 odd pages. Beat that, any ink jet!
:-)

I strongly recommend any Brother laser printer to anybody.