Re: Upgrade-ability of Mepis and Ubuntu (for InstallFest)

Author: June Tate
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Upgrade-ability of Mepis and Ubuntu (for InstallFest)
On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 15:35 -0700, der.hans wrote:

> > I imagine (at this point in time, anyway) that to upgrade from Warty to
> > Hoary you'll have to change the repository settings (ie:
> > "cat /etc/apt/sources.list |sed s/warty/hoary/g"), but again synaptic
> > makes that a snap.
>
> So, they use the distro names and we can't just point to stable, thereby
> getting new releases as they're released?

From rom what I've been following, that is correct. I don't think they have
any plans to move to a set of links like Debian does for
stable/testing/unstable.

> > One thing to note is that Ubuntu uses it's own frozen snapshot of the
> > Debian archives. This means that some things that are in the Debian
> > archive now aren't available in Ubuntu. It is possible, however, to use
> > most Debian packages without issues.
>
> Being a little stale on apps is fine. Being stale on security fixes
> generally is not.

And they've been tracking DSNs and Bugtraq security issues very quickly
-- virtually every time I get a DSN notification from
debian-security-announce, I usually get one within fifteen minutes of it
from ubuntu-security-announce with a fix. The only downside to it is
that when you first install you have to manually turn on security
updates -- this might be changed in Hoary, though.

I just got a notice from the announce list that Ubuntu finally has a
LiveCD of Hoary for testing, so I'll be trying that out as soon as I can
get a chance.

--
June Tate * * http://www.theonelab.com