Re: Adding Debian Repositories to Ubuntu, Safely

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: plug-discuss
New-Topics: Installfest Distros (was Re: Adding Debian Repositories to Ubuntu, Safely)
Subject: Re: Adding Debian Repositories to Ubuntu, Safely
On Thursday 27 January 2005 04:27 pm, Bart Garst kindly wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 14:52, Siri Amrit Kaur wrote:
> > You can give priority to the Ubuntu repositories, then have
> > apt-get look at Debian repositories only if you want a package
> > that Ubuntu doesn't have. It looks pretty easy to do:
> >
> > http://justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=137521
>
> I don't want to start a distro war, I merely would like an
> explanation.
>
> If ubuntu is based on debian, and requires debian repositories to
> complete the updates, why use ubuntu (or mephis, or knoppix, or
> ...) in the first place? Why not just use debian?

I think that if someone is experienced with Linux and has enough time,
Debian is probably superior in some ways to the live-cd offshoots of
Debian. Debian is great! Thinking about it from an InstallFest
viewpoint, though, the purpose of an InstallFest is to get a workable
Linux installed on a computer that probably will be used by someone
with little-to-no Linux experience.

The live-cd's like SimplyMepis and PCLOS come with preconfigured
browser plugins (Debian doesn't), automatic hardware detection for
many devices (like USB thumbdrives) automatic network and
connectivity setup, user-friendly configuration tools, and greatly
simplified installation procedures. I don't know if Ubuntu has all of
these, but it uses Gnome and has a very pleasant user interface. It
would be easier on systems with less RAM. With these distros you can
typically get a functional system up in about 30 minutes, and the
client goes home with a distro that has more user-friendly
configuration tools than Debian has.

I installed Mepis last summer on a friend's box in Albuquerque. She
had never used Linux before, but was sick of the problems she was
experiencing with WinXP. She did not want to become a Linux expert,
she just wanted a more secure O/S for browsing the internet, getting
her email, and using an Office suite. I gave her a copy of
"Point-and-Click Linux" and she's as happy as a pig in mud. To my
knowledge, she has never done an upgrade or dist-upgrade. She has
never added another package to her system, because she already has
more than she ever had with Windows. I think she is typical of the
common client at an InstallFest.

This is just my opinion.

Siri Amrit