Re: Upgrade-ability of Mepis and Ubuntu (for InstallFest)

Author: der.hans
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Upgrade-ability of Mepis and Ubuntu (for InstallFest)
Am 27. Jan, 2005 schwätzte June Tate so:

> On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 15:35 -0700, der.hans wrote:

> From rom what I've been following, that is correct. I don't think they have
> any plans to move to a set of links like Debian does for
> stable/testing/unstable.

They probably don't need it. It is a cool setup, though :).

> > Being a little stale on apps is fine. Being stale on security fixes
> > generally is not.
>
> And they've been tracking DSNs and Bugtraq security issues very quickly
> -- virtually every time I get a DSN notification from
> debian-security-announce, I usually get one within fifteen minutes of it
> from ubuntu-security-announce with a fix. The only downside to it is

OK, cool. That's my biggest worry about updates.

> that when you first install you have to manually turn on security
> updates -- this might be changed in Hoary, though.

We can take care of that as part of the installation procedure.

It's sounding like Ubuntu will be good for the InstallFests.

Is commercial support available for Ubuntu?

> I just got a notice from the announce list that Ubuntu finally has a
> LiveCD of Hoary for testing, so I'll be trying that out as soon as I can
> get a chance.

Kühl. Let us know.

ciao,

der.hans
#  "Human kind cannot bear very much reality."
#    -- T.S. Eliot, "Four Quartets: Burnt Norton"