Re: A suggestion to keep the plug list focused

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: A suggestion to keep the plug list focused
On Wed, 2005-01-26 at 10:22 -0700, Josef Lowder wrote:
> The problem with "OT" is not only that some may not
> know what it means, but more important, one cannot
> build filters based on "OT" alone (at least I don't know
> how to do that). I don't think that sorting by subjects is
> the issue here, is it? At least I think the objective is to
> filter and delete unwanted messages, not just sort them.
>
> If a filter were built on just the two letters OT in a subject,
> then such a filter would block _every_ subject that contained
> those two letters, including many common words.
>
> Am I missing something, here?

----
OT seems to be the convention on mail lists everywhere. I generally
defer to collective wisdom and resort to anarchy when useful.

I don't filter on these things so YMMV and of course, every mail
application has it's own capabilities, strengths and weaknesses.

Generally, if your mail application sorts by thread then 'uninteresting'
threads can be deleted in totality.

filter blocking seems too analog - too clumsy but hey, that's just me.

Craig