Re: Linux shops in the area

Author: Tyler Strickland
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Linux shops in the area
On 01/06/2005 07:32 PM, Nathan England wrote:
>>I'm a system admin for AdoptionMedia. We're primarily a LAMP shop,
>>though we do have several Solaris boxes that I'm trying to phase out
>>(hard to do with a 14-proc 6500). We're currently running Slackware on
>>all our Linux servers, but I'd like to move to Debian when I we get a
>>second admin hired to help with the workload.
>

> As a slack user, what is your motivation for moving to debian?
> I'm not trying to start a flame war, just honestly asking. I've used knoppix,
> and that's it.

Well, there are two main reasons I'd like to move:
1. Familiarity - I've been working with Debian a lot longer than I've
been working with Slack.
2. Package management - apt is hard to beat.

I find debian strikes a nice balance between automation and power - I
can do things my own way if I want, but if I just want to install a
program with the default options, apt-get is my best friend. I
recognize that there are several package management systems with
Slackware, but I like the standardization of debian.

I've run Mandrake, Suse, Red Hat, Debian, and Slackware during my Linux
experience, and I've come to prefer Debian for my own use, though I have
no major problem with any of the others.

Tyler