Re: Linux shops in the area

Author: Rudolfo Munguia
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Linux shops in the area
another 2 cents:

I would like to add that many small businesses, machine shops,
electronics/software development, and mom-pop ISP's run at least 1
linux/bsd box as they aren't cost intensive. Though most I have run
across just want it to run their firewall/website/email/samba, and
they can't afford a real admin or even serious consultancy; I have
found 30-40 dollars/hour is what most of them are willing to contract
for, which makes it a little hard to earn a living if your aren't
single.

Also, although I have been installing/using debian since '95, In the
last year I have moved completely to Gentoo. Specifically for it's
reasonably comprehensive package management system - which is easily
on par with apt if not better - and for the various tools available to
quickly and cleanly deal with any package conflicts that may arise.
The other primary benefit is the ease with which the GRSEC and
hardened toolchain are compiled into the system.