Re: Question with practical and ethical considerations.

Author: Michael
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Question with practical and ethical considerations.
> Happy Holidays,
>
> I do most on my day to day work on a laptop running Redhat 9.0. This
> laptop came with Windows XP pro preinstalled. It now dual boots, as from
> time to time I have to do some things on a windows system. The most
> important is to connect to a windows 2000 server via terminal services.
>
> Inherent within XP pro is a terminal server cal. I would prefer to use
> rdestop to connect to the win 2k server, allowing me to connect from
> linux and minimizing my need to boot to windows, but in order to do this
>    I would need to have a terminal server cal on the win 2k server. Cost
> considerations prohibit this. All other boxes connecting to the win 2k
> server are either XP pro or Windows 2000 pro so the owner of the win 2k
> server has not had to buy a 5 pack of terminal server cals.

> Given that I own a valid XP pro license, installed on the same box that
> I run Redhat on, is there a practical method of having rdesktop announce
> itself as either windows 2k pro or XP pro to the server.
>
> If there is a practical way to do this, where does it stand legally and
> ethically.
>
> I have also considered putting VMware on my laptop and running XP within
> VMware, but this also presents a cost I would rather not incur. Cost
> considerations aside, would I then be able to connect to the win 2k
> server running XP pro within VMware using it's inherent terminal
> services cal?
>
> Any other suggestions to allow a terminl services connection from within
> linux?
>
> Regards,
>

> Charlie

From my experience in attempts to figure out the license fiasco with MS
and Citrix for us to legally use a citrix metaframe cluster. You still
need the TS Cal.

I was told that you are really paying for..... "The Windows Experience"
*OOOOooooo*. All clients connected at that momemnt that aren't nt5+ need
(and are issued) a client license for this "experience".

It gets even more fun when Citrix stops releaseing them back into the
pool. They had a bug about this and weren't too concerned about fixing it
with the *many* people that experienced it. But that is another story.

-Mike

-Mike