Re: Proposition 102

Author: JD Austin
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Proposition 102
Carl Parrish wrote:

> Okay I hate bring politics into our discussion but I'm interested in
> what others are thinking about 102. On the one hand it will generate
> more money for the state (something that is *very* needed) on the
> other hand it gives the state a reason to support technical
> Intellectual Property, something that I don't really want to see
> happen. If the state is suddenly allowed to make money off of the
> Intellectual Property of colleges (why don't the students get this?).
> They will be *much* less inclined to listen to why software patiens
> should be done away with. I'm interested in what others are thinking
> because I'm of two minds here, short term vs. long term.

My only real issues with it are that marriage of public and private
interests raise a lot of questions.
    Would it lead to conflict of interest issues?  Would a university
that owns stock in Microsoft buy more Microsoft software?
    There is as double edge to these kinds of investments.. they go DOWN
too.  What effect will this have on the colleges involved?
    Would the university lose control of that IP, meaning that they
could no longer research in the area?

JD