Re: mgetty nonsense

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: mgetty nonsense
On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 12:28, Robert Ambrose wrote:

moving your response to the bottom for my clarity...

> On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 17:54, Craig White wrote:
> > perhaps there's a better way and someone who is enlightened can clue me
> > in to analog methods.
> >
> > I have a client with a single dial-up line and it has now failed to
> > return to auto answer mode (USR Sportster/external).
> >
> > I have /etc/inittab set to...
> > ppp0:345:off:/sbin/mgetty -x 5 ttyS0
> >
> > and it worked for quite a while but one day failed to return to
> > auto-answer mode so I used the Microsoft method of fixing things...I
> > rebooted. It worked fine for a few weeks but now it went back to
> > non-answering mode again so I simply ran the command from cli...
> > mgetty -x 5 ttyS0
> >
> > and it appeared to hang so I aborted (control-C) and looked at
> > /var/log/mgetty.log.ttyS0 and in had...
> >
> > 07/13 17:41:44 yS0 check for lockfiles
> > 07/13 17:41:45 yS0 lockfile found, pid=16405
> >
> > so I killed -9 16405 and then ran 'init q' and I'm back online.
> >
> > Is there some more elegant way of handling this?
> I'm slightly mystified at your inittab entry because the action is set
> to off, but I'm going to assume this is an anomaly.
>
> Do you customize your mgetty.config and login.conffg files? I see you
> have the id for the inittab entry set to ppp0, this is what makes me
> wonder if you using the AutoPPP feature of login.config.

---
indeed - AutoPPP feature of login.config

/AutoPPP/ -     a_ppp   /usr/sbin/pppd auth -chap +pap login debug

I got it working from man pages I think - it's been many months (close
to a year ago)

mgetty.config is unchanged from RH AS 3 config

Craig